[lit-ideas] SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:23:44 -0500

I was only off by 4 numbers on the Tennessee Lottery yesterday.  Out of the 270
million to one chances that I'll get all five, I've already narrowed the
chances down by 70.  This is a kind of win - win situation, as I see it.  Every
time I lose my chances keep getting better and better.  This is all very
exciting for me.

On the occasion of my winning I've written a poem.  I'm sending it now because
I surely wouldn't want to associate with any of you when I'm a
multi-millionaire.

SHINY DIMES ARE BETTER THAN RHYMES

Some people got sprung rhythm,
some ain't got none at all
but what's worse,
is the curse
of blank verse.
Those people never heard
of the word:
'terse'.
It's absurd
what lengths they'll go to in order to try to say things nobody even cares
about, like:
"For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you".
Oh yeah?  Put your hands of the atoms of my dollars and you die.
And that's a fact, Jack.
So you see, fraternity ends at the lottery.

****

If I win next Saturday, this will the last poem I send you poor people.  I'll
have to change my politics, too, of course, and take up Presbyterianism.  So
there's not much chance we'll be having any contact in the future.  It's been
fun.  Keep you fingers crossed.

Mike Geary
surely a winner
in Memphis