[lit-ideas] Re: Protect the patents!

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:40:40 +0000

Thursday, November 3, 2005, 8:11:41 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

AR> This is one hell of an opportunity.

AR> 1) Go to India and find an Indian pharmaceutical company. They can
duplicate any pill.
AR> 2) Order 100 million doses of Tamiflu.
AR> 3) Set up an order form on a website. Credit card payment and FedEx
Overnite delivery.
AR> 4) Start selling generic Tamiflu to the USA.

Roche is going to share the technology and grant sub-licenses (sorry,
I forgot that) probably because it realises it has to.  CIPLA may go
ahead regardless of that, and Taiwan has said it will.

Presumably the US will then try to block online import sales

AR> The Bushies have only 20m doses, which just about covers the hardcore of
the GOP. They've
AR> got their lifeboat all nice and ready.

we haven't much either -- we do have more on order.  So far the flu's
resistance to Tamiflu has meant a far greater dose has to be used.

(There almost certainly won't be a pandemic this winter.)

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx