[lit-ideas] Re: Protect the patents!

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:43:38 EST

<<I  thought there was one possible case of human-human
transmission but that  involved very close contact indeed with someone
from the same family (who'd  eaten the same food) who was very ill.>>
I wonder if you're referring to the  same incident I heard about on NPR today
-- it was a Vietnamese family.   The piece noted that some delicacies like
turkey blood soup were being  discouraged.  I'm a fairly adventurous eater,
but.....
Andy, I'm wondering why school age  children would be largely affected?
Other than their proximity to one  another in classrooms and lack of propensity
toward careful hygiene,  perhaps?  I would have assumed that the elderly, those
with respiratory and  heart diseases, and infants would be high targets.
Apparently Bush's  "ration" plan considers first-responders, health care
workers,
and govt  officials to be highest priority.  Pretty much screws the most
vulnerable.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Protect the
patents!  Date: 11/3/05 6:46:01 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Friday, November 4, 2005, 12:34:00 AM, Robert Paul  wrote:

(sorry to jump in)

RP> human to human? It is already  transmissible, but not robustly, from
RP> birds and from the environment  (bird fesces, etc.) to humans.

yes.  I thought there was one  possible case of human-human
transmission but that involved very close  contact indeed with someone
from the same family (who'd eaten the same food)  who was very ill.
(There haven't been the deaths SARS caused in medics  treating the
infected.) And the 'flu would still be HN51, not the mutated  form.

RP>  The number
RP> of human cases, in proportion to  the number of infected birds, is
RP> minuscule;

Yes  indeed.

RP> the number of human fatalities among these is even  more
RP> minusculer, as Einstein would say.

I wondered about  that.  I have a figure of 50 per cent but suspected
that was among  people who were anyway very ill.

RP> (I grant that WHO has said it is  'only a matter of time' before
RP> bird-human transmission happens, but  so what?)

I'm unhappy about being too blithe about this given deaths in  earlier
pandemics (having said that, I knew a lot of people who got the  '57
'flu but no-one I knew died, and I didn't realise the '68 'flu,  which
didn't affect me at all, was a pandemic till I read about it  later).
But I'm not exactly panicky about it

--
Judy  Evans, Cardiff, UK

mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx