[lit-ideas] Re: Phil-Id Welcomes You

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 00:47:52 -0400

And,
> Mikey...you forgot to mention that to Andy I am a religious  right wing
red
> stater ... though to my ultra right family, I am about as far  left as
you can
> get before you are so warped that you end up in a different  dimension.

A.A. So my characterizations were right on target.  The red states are
filled with ayatollah style religious fanatics.

> (Though they decided they love me anyway as they figured out that I am
who
> they can run to when they need TLC and a non-judgmental ear.  But maybe
that
> is because they decided to lurk and got sucked into Andy's analysis of me
and
> decided I was not so bad, after all.  I'm not sure.)

A.A. I never said you were bad, unless by bad you mean moderate, in which
case that's your value, not mine.  The Muslim world put religion at the
forefront of their lives, and look where it got them.  Do your relatives
not see that that's where the U.S. is heading?  It's a rhetorical question,
since obviously they don't or they wouldn't be fanatically pushing science
out of the schools and diving into denial regarding the damage to the
country that Bush has done.  Regarding your stance on religion, I
appreciate your clarification that you're on the outskirts of the religious
right, not in its fanatical base.   I admit I suspected you are a pink
instead of a red.  Certainly not blue.  Just a question, why *do* the
highly religious spell God as G-d?  Saying it's "respect" is just restating
the question.  Is it fear?  Do they worship out of fear?  I'm just
wondering.  Being an atheist in a blue state who thinks religion is
nonsense, I can only guess at these things.

Andy