[lit-ideas] Phil-Id Welcomes You

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:25:10 -0500

Hi, Brian,

Welcome!  You HAVE been gone for awhile.  David Myers got miffed, took his
Phil-Lit ball and went home.  I think he opened a yeshiva in College
Station, Texas.  If not, he should.  Larry Kramer opened a new
Right-Thinking List at TAMU -- under the auspices of D.G. M. I presume --
and called it Theoria.  I think it rhymes with Peoria.  There you'll find
the two Larrys (except when Helm gets pissed and disappears for a while).
Tom Hart's still there though and Nancy Sanderson and Lance Simmons and
Delia Friedberg and uh...oh yes, occasionally D.G. Myers
and...and...hmmm...it seemed like so many right-wingers but that's only 7.
There are a few others who occasionally weigh right in, but on Phil-Lit it
always seemed like thousands of them to me.  Where did they all go?

Literature and Ideas (Lit-Id) is in its second incarnation.  First phoenixed
in the flames of Topica, now by freelists.  Andreas Ramos is the
unappreciated janitor of Lit-Id.  God bless him.  Irene Cassidy had problems
connecting through Topica and eventually gave up (alas),  Lawrence Helm is
the ONLY true conservative who posts to Lit-Id -- but only occasionally.
Norbert Sclippa fell off the face of the earth apparently.  Norman Miller
has found his tool catalogs more intriguing than any of us -- and who can
blame him ?  Robert Paul is still with us but quite appalling in his satiric
take on human nature.  Those still alive and still posting that you didn't
mention are John Wager, Marlena Boggs,  Eric Yost, Carol Kirschenbaum, Julie
Kruegger, Chris Bruce, Ceri Harris, Richard Henninge, Mirembe Nantango, Phil
Enns,  Steven Cameron, Renee Leon, Paul Stone, Brian Connery, John McCreery,
William Ball, Erin Holder, Austin Meredith and JL  -- JL? -- well, whenever
JL deigns to post anymore.  It's a situation so full of implicatures I can't
begin to explain it all.  Jesus Grice! as Paul Stone once exclaimed.  Andy
Amago you probably don't know, he's "new". Welcome back.  Youl'll find
everyone just as opinionated as they ever were, often entertaining and
sometimes even informative.  There may be others that I'm forgetting.  I
hope not.  But they're all fun.  So have fun.

But what the fuck do you mean "OF COURSE, Mike Geary" ?

Mike Geary
Memphis
where coarse is the course.