[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:54:15 -0500

Mike M: Morally speaking, who can deny the justice of the statement of a young Iranian interviewed a view months back on BBC who said, "If others are
allowed to have nuclear weapons, why not us?"

I can deny that! It's like saying, "If Serial Killer X can eat babies, why can't I?" Nuclear weapons are a problem, not an asset. They were a problem from the moment they were first developed, a curse. It extends the human capacity to destroy so greatly that the only hope for our species is to draw down our stockpiles of nuclear weapons. And how can we draw down our weapons when every theocratic shambles of a state or backwater dictatorship claims an equal right to them?

The young Iranian should have asked, "If other nations have freedom of assembly and speech, why not us?" That would have been a meaningful statement. Hi question, on the other hand, is simply a thinly-veiled kvetch about not having major military clout.