[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:09:14 -0600

LH:

So should we do something about Iran?  And if the answer is "yes," what should
we do?

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe that if you have the power to
do something, then you have the right.  I don't believe that.  So I don't see
what we can do legally or morally but to submit the question to the UN and hope
we can persuade the member nations that our position is in their best intestest
as well.  But the Bush Administration has made that extremely difficult with
their arrogant dismissal of the UN by their invasion of Iraq.

The proliferation of nuclear weapons is a given, as I see it.  As long as the
notion of nationhood and sovereignty are with us then every nation is under a
moral edict to develop nuclear weapons for their own security.  North Korea has
proven to all the non-nuclear nations that they will only ever be safe if they
develop the bomb and the ability to deliver it.  It's going to happen in the
coming decades.  Every nation will have the bomb.   Unless, that is, the world
of nations comes to realize that this is madness and might well lead to the
annihilation of the human race.  Unless the world of nations comes to realize
that the notion of national sovereignty is just an idea whose time has passed
and that it is time to get on with the sovereignty of the human nation.  I can
hear several people snickering now.  But they snickered at the idea of
democracy too.  However, it would require vision and courage by our leaders and
I don't have a lot of hope.

Should we do something about Iran?  Yes.  Embrace them, entangle them in our
Western web of neuroses.  Make the bastards wealthy, give them something to
loose.

Mike Geary
Memphis