[lit-ideas] Re: Ought we to do something about Iran?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:34:21 -0800

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The United States developed, built and used atomic weapons at the end of
World War II.  For reasons no longer clear to me, Leftists in our scientific
community decided the world would be safer if the Soviet Union also had
these weapons and so sent them the information on how to build them.

The USSR was working on these and would have developed them anyway, regardless of Soviet spies.

The culprit wasn't the "Leftists", but the right wing, as you will see in the remainder of this email.

Presumably we told Britain how to build them. Perhaps the French built theirs on their own. I suspect the Israelis did. I believe the Indians and Pakistanis did as well.

The US shared the nuclear weapons technology with the UK. I think the French figured out how to build their own nuclear weapons. It's not that difficult.

The US very likely gave nuclear weapons to Israel. The US gave the technology to Pakistan. Pakistan shared it with North Korea and perhaps Iran.

The analysts agree that Iran is at least ten years away from developing weapons. But that won't help the Republicans in the upcoming midterm elections, nor distract from Bush's political problems on all sides, so let's get hysterical and say they're about to get nuclear weapons.

I don't know whether the North Koreans built their own or were helped by the
Chinese.  If the latter, that could explain why the Chinese are dragging
their feet in doing something about the North Koreans.

Why, those silly Chinese! Why would they mind if the US had a nuclear war next door in North Korea? The US certainly wouldn't mind a nuclear war on the other side of the planet.

I notice that South Korea has informed the U.S. that it is opposed to "regime change" in North Korea. But then we expected that. Eventually the North and South will be put back together again and the South would be delighted if the North brought them nuclear power.

Oh, those wimpy South Koreans! They too have concerns about nuclear war in, well, in their own country, on the backs of their fellow Koreans? Don't they know that nuclear war is clean?

Lawrence, you are so crazy that it's funny. Bush would love to attack North Korea. The only reason he hasn't is because the North Koreans have promised to nuke Japan, South Korea, and probably China as well: all of which surround North Korea and are within easy rocket range. For several years, Bush kept escalating and pushing for war, but those three countries told him to knock it off.

It's not because the Chinese, Japanese, and S. Koreans are surrender monkeys. They are deeply afraid of the consequences of a war in which the US would not suffer one bit.

Iran according to Ilan Berman, Tehran Rising, 2005, is being helped in this
regard by Russia, China and France.

Oh, be careful. The Pentagon has a disinformation campaign ongoing to beat the drums for a war against Iran.

Iran is developing nuclear weapons for a very good reason: Bush keeps threatening to attack. If they have weapons, it'll keep Bush away. It works for North Korea.

So should we do something about Iran?  And if the answer is "yes," what
should we do?

Well, what's the problem? Let's be very clear here. Where's the threat to the USA? Even if Iran were to have nuclear weapons (and this is TEN years away), just exactly how would they deliver them? Iran can't reach the USA. Iran is not a threat to the USA.

The only one they can reach is Israel. Israel has nuclear weapons (which the USA gave to them), so the Muslim nations want to counter this and develop their own weapons.

Quite simply: Iran wants to have nuclear weapons because the USA gave nuclear weapons to Israel.

Is that so dangerous? Pakistan has nuclear weapons (given to them by the USA) and it counterbalances India's nuclear weapons. They are mortal enemies, in mutual paranoid hysterical fear and hatred.

A solution? Stop militarizing. Stop handing out weapons technologies. Shut down the weapons tradeshows. Stop supporting military dictatorships and authoritarian regimes.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com