[lit-ideas] Re: New EU lexicon on terror

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:36:08 +0100

'As to the war West described being the same as the war Osama bin Laden
describes, I fail to see your problem.  If there is a war, then surely both
sides fighting it know it.'

And yet this war was advertised as a war on terror, not a war against Islam.
Tell me Lawrence that you can see the difference. It's been ramped up since
2001 to the extent that mainstream journos such as West are talking of a war
against Islam, the same message as the most recent bin Laden tape.

'The U.S. didn't create terrorism.'

So what were they doing in Afghanistan in the 1980s? Who brought the Saudis
over there to begin with? What was Benezir Bhutto referring to when she
described the Mujahadin as a Frankenstein's Monstor created by the US? If that
wasn't creating terrorism Lawrence...

Try a different viewpoint...

http://www.newstatesman.com/200604240013

Simon