[lit-ideas] Re: Must the Word be Literate?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 15:55:13 -0700

On Oct 2, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Julie Krueger wrote:

> Here instead is a link for the curious. Look at how the guy is gripping
> the sword.  Maybe John knows what the story is.

What a gorgeous store the guy (?) has ... and what a pretty penny he wants, too.

Re. the sword -- have you ever tried to cit through something that simply will not give from the top down, only to find that if you slice upwards with the tension that grabbing it with your other hand, or tension because of its juxtaposition (say, plastic "tape" around a box) affords, it slices like butter?

Julie Krueger
thinking of the way I cut meat held together only by very tough, sinewy bits

We agree. I think it's an ideal grip for cutting hair, a poor one for cutting someone's head off. The grip answers the question about what's going on. I wonder *why* it's going on. It looks to me more like a moment of punishment or anger than the beginning of a girl- disguised-as-a-boy tale.

David Ritchie
able to click on all links in
Portland, Oregon