[lit-ideas] Re: Must the Word be Literate?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:34:42 -0700

John:

Leibniz to Wittgenstein isn't as "modern" as one needs to get, and I'm not
very familiar with Popper.   Gadamer, deriving from Heidegger, R. G.
Collingwood,  Hayden White, and Anthony C. Thiselton are the writers I'm
most familiar with on this subject - or as I understand what you are saying
- if I do.  I have brought some of them up before in regard to political
opinion.  We bring our own private assumptions, or as Collingwood would say,
our Constellations of  presuppositions to any given subject.  Thus, when we
view a text, including a sacred text, we view it through the filter of our
assumptions.

To counter this, the Judeo-Christian practices the dictum,"raise up a child
in the ways of the Lord, and when he is old, he will not depart from them."
As a child grows and voices his childish opinion, it is corrected by his
parent or teacher - no, no, son.  Here's the way to understand that.  And if
every child in a village is raised in this manner, the orthodoxy of
religious belief would almost certainly remain intact.   This has always
remained a principle to be sought after with varying degrees of success in
Christianity.  There have been the Catholic schools which Mike has commented
upon, but the famous Scotch/Irish that were credited by King George III with
the rebellion that became called the American Revolution, were taught by
their Presbyterian pastors in this same way.  The pastors were the only
educated people these Scotch/Irish knew (until they began to move West and
became Baptists) and they taught them theology and the Bible.

Perhaps this is still the ideal in conservative Presbyterian denominations,
but it can never again be like that.  Too many church members are educated.
There are too may assumptions, too many constellations of presuppositions.
The pastor may very well believe he has the truth of a given matter, but he
cannot exalt his particular view above the views of all of the members in
his congregation.   Custom will not allow the members to disagree with him
while he preaches, but later on he may hear the alternate views, and there
is nothing, or very little, he can do about them.

There have been two strong positions in Conservative Presbyterian circles
that pertain to this subject.  On the one hand you have Gordon Clark, a
professor of philosophy and  Presbyterian theologian who argued that we can
know the Text, the Biblical Word, just as God knows it.  This, to use John's
construction would mean that not only were true statements about the world
and spiritual life uttered, but we, if we are Christian, can understand them
precisely as God does.

On the other hand, there was another Conservative Presbyterian Theologian
named Cornelius Van Til who argued that while God uttered the word in such a
way that is was absolutely true, we could never understand the truth of it
in the same way that God did, because his ways are higher than our ways.  In
other words, the Bible is absolutely true, and we can understand it in ways
that are true, but we can never understand it quite as God does.  Van Til
more closely corresponds to the philosophers I site above.   To some extent
this lack of perfect understanding is due to the imperfection of human
language.  It is not capable of being self-authenticating.  It can never
stand on its own and perfectly mean the same thing to everyone who
encounters it.  Everyone brings his baggage of presuppositions and
understands it in a different way.   Even if a pastor or theologian argues a
certain number of Christians into a particular theological position, there
will be others who take different views - who remain Christian.

There are Christian denominations which argue that the Bible means only one
thing and that we can learn what that is by listening to the pastor, but
that begs the question.  Yes, if you accept a given person's arguments then
you can argue that there is but one meaning, but that is a position you
might hear from a Fundamentalist Preacher.  I don't think such a thing is
being taught at any of the major Theological Seminaries.

Complicating, or perhaps simplifying all this for Christians is the teaching
that the Holy Spirit "will guide us into all truth."  Actually, Jesus said
that about his disciples and not all believers, but we are to follow the
teachings of his disciples and the Holy Spirit is at work in us while this
happens, we are taught, transforming us into the image of Jesus Christ - not
that this ever happens absolutely, but it is the direction in which the Holy
Spirit moves us, we who are Christians, with varying degrees of
accomplishment.

So Christ, we who aren't Fundamentalists believe, was content with the
seemingly imprecise Word - even with the imprecise denominations that have
risen in his name.  He could and does work with them.   And if some believer
doesn't get it quite right, well that's okay as long as he is being moved in
the right direction - a direction we observers may not be able to ascertain
correctly - but in a rough way we know -- as Ann Coulter's critics seem to
know about her --   when a denomination goes "too far."  Yes, the People's
Temple seemed Christian in its early stages, but then it went "too far."  It
went beyond the realm of Christianity.

Motives are all important.  Is our heart seeking after the perfection of
Jesus Christ?  Or are we relying upon something else, perhaps ourselves as
the final arbiter of the meaning of the Word?

Thus, the text may always seem imprecise, but as we study we see the
direction.  We get the idea, and are content.

Moving out of the realm of Theology, I have on many occasions argued with
people on Lit-Ideas about the meaning of some word or term.  My
interlocutors treated these words and terms as though they had "ultimate"
meanings which they fully grasped.  Furthermore, they insisted that everyone
encountering these words and terms ought to grasp them in the same way they
did.  I have always opposed those views.  If our goal is to understand the
"parole," that is, the language as spoken, then we must have a dialogue with
the person who has spoken in order to approach understanding.  I say
"approach understanding," because while we may be closer to understanding
another person, say our spouse, than we do to understanding God, we shall
probably fall far short of absolute success.

In theory, we OUGHT in these discussions leave more time and use more
dialogue in seeking to understand each other.  Of course we may believe that
even if we invest this time and engage in dialogue we will remain in
disagreement, but those are two different things: understanding is not the
same things as agreement, and, I submit.  We rarely, if ever, understand
each other.  Notice how quickly we jump to conclusions, conclusions that the
other person say utterly misses the mark.  I think of an occasion recently
when I made such an assumption about something Mike said and he said I
missed his beliefs by a long way.  He caused me to think more seriously
about the possibility that some seeming-Leftists might better be called
Liberal-Realists.

But, it seems, few are interested in a dialogue that promotes this
hypothetical greater understanding.  "Transparency," isn't something
everyone seeks.  Perhaps no one seeks it completely, but it might be sought
on particular points - maybe.

Lawrence