[lit-ideas] Re: WWII? WTF?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:19:02 -0700

This sort of item is interesting for me because we usually think an entire generation will understand and remember a defining event (WWII, the Vietnam War, Paris Hilton's DUI). The article points out that WWII defined the second half of the 20th century. WWII was easily the most significant event of the 20th century. It ended only 60 years ago. Yet today's kids are unaware of it.

I happen to have a very good memory for political and social events; I remember many of the events of the 70s and 80s. Yet I've noticed that many people simply don't remember the 70s or 80s at all. Mayaguez, the severe recession, the oil shock, the Iranian Revolution; all of these are vague memories for some; many don't even remember these.

What about the present? The 90s is slipping away. The Christmas Tsunami has faded; Katrina is fading, even the World Trade Center attack is evaporating. We talk about the WTC attack, but forget the attack on the Pentagon. Who remembers the anthrax attacks on Congress?

There's an article by Oliver Sacks on amnesia in the current New Yorker. He describes a man who has nearly total amnesia; he can't remember a few minutes ago and lives in the immediate present. When I read the article, I wondered if our society has a sort of social amnesia; general society remembers only the last few years (and only vaguely); the past slips away into a fog.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com