[lit-ideas] Re: Murder in two cultures

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----

Harris's style
>wasn't frenzied. She felt that her life was over when she realized her
>lover, her life, was dead. Herein lies the pathos.
>
>Perhaps it's less likely that American men in love would feel like this.

I once heard a feminist describe acts of passion as acts of possession.  That
was in the context of the O.J. Simpson murder.  You hit it on the head when you
say that her lover is synonymous with her life.  To lose him was to lose her
Self.  That's what O.J. was going through, coupled I imagine with some
fantasied revenge, probably of mother going way back into early childhood.
There was way too much energy for anything else.  People who commit acts of
passion (possession) are really functioning out of a place of extreme
immaturity.  Likewise machismo.  There is just no need to settle disputes
violently.  Adults just don't do that.