[lit-ideas] Re: Murder in two cultures

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:32:55 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Norman, our sojourner!  We kept a light on in the window for you all this time
and you returned!  What an interesting premise.  I can't answer your question,
but I believe France has a "crime of passion" defense.  Since we don't have
that, turning one's self in in France is less riskier than in the U.S., where a
jail term is guaranteed.  Seems to me that whenever I hear about a man killing
his wife and/or kids in the U.S., he usually follows it by killing himself.  I
can't think of any case in the US where a man killed his wife and then turned
himself in.