[lit-ideas] Re: Masterly (or Personly) Outcomes

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:38:18 +0900

While teaching graduate seminars on advertising and marketing, I began
by telling my students that the course is like the business world. Do
what you're told; you will get a B. Do less; you will get a C or lower
grade depending on how much less. Want an A? I'm the CEO. Impress me.

Thus begins a littlel sermon on how the business world is changing
from a place that needs thousands of white-collar drones to a place
where people don't make big bucks (or even a comfortable middle-class
living) unless they notice something others haven't, think creatively
about it, and, then, take the risk of actually doing something with
the ideas they come up with. (Andreas is bullying Brian, but what he
says about Silicon Valley rings absolutely true with me.)

John

On 2/18/07, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 17, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Judith Evans wrote:

> But on the issue of what you tell the Accreditors you're doing;
> get someone in the UK to send you the *stuff* we have to produce
> now for each course (i.e. each component of a degree course, not
> just, a degree course);  Statement of Aims, Statement of
> Objectives, Teaching Methods, Transferable Skills, Assessment....
> That should see them off...

Crikey.

> Incidentally,  we do still decide marks the way your tutors at
> Sussex did.

Mysteriously?!

David etc.

John McCreery