[lit-ideas] Re: Masterly (or Personly) Outcomes

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:39:53 -0600

David Ritchie wrote:

Our college will soon offer an M.F.A. degree, but we are taking only fifteen students a year and we will be offering them a wide variety of routes through the program. One result will be that several upper division liberal arts classes will soon have one or two masters students in them or, to re-state that in U.S. jargon, some 3/400 level courses will have a 500 level component.

When I was in graduate school, back when things were simpler but the beer was horrible, in such classes the professor merely judged the final essay and exercises--presentations, discussions etc.--by reference to a higher standard, which was not spelled out. In the current political scheme, where outcomes must be right there on the syllabus, this old approach has suffered the Wrath of Accreditors; it has been judged insufficient, too loose to track.

If it pleases you and you have the time and energy, please consider describing for me how your institution copes with this issue of Master's outcomes. How does your institution go about distinguishing an undergraduate outcome from a master's level one? Does it require the higher level student to read more books, to do more work, to achieve a seventy percent or better level of pattern analysis, measured on the Holmes-Watson Scale?

"My" institution has a similar but different problem--or the same problem on a different level. Maybe some principles can be used in both places. I teach at a community college that-supposedly--offers the first two years of a 4 year ("Bachelor's") degree. But I've noticed that almost all of our students wind up taking maybe 80% of their over-all coursework in "100" level courses. We do offer a smattering of 200 level courses, but very few students wind up taking them; most take two years of first year courses. This is partly understandable because students usually meet their "general education" requirements with those courses, reserving the few 200 level courses for those in their major, but looking over the catalog reveals several programs where it would be possible to do 75% of the work in a major field and only have to take 100 level courses. The curious thing is that most statistics show that of "our" students who DO transfer to 4 year schools, there is no measurable difference in performance in grades or graduation rates when comparing students who start at 4 year schools and students who start at 2 year schools.

To me, that suggests something (Only a suggestion, the slightest whiff in the air really, but still a whiff): What matters more is the amount and extent of work done, not the exact level. Having done 30 classes, all at the 100 level, is just about as productive as doing 15 classes at the freshman level and 15 at the sophomore level. I suspect that the main reason for this is that even at schools that do take seriously the "curriculum" and actually plan on how a 200 level course is more advanced than a 100 level course, the effect is negligible; there isn't really as much difference as we think there is.

Note: If your institution is, in fact, a freezer seal repair business or a book-writing factory or a dust bunny farm, do not feel excluded; please feel free to riff wheree'r the muses blow you, even unto the geary plains of Godot, where lurks the fearful porpentine. And baby Jee.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

p.s. Did the debate about gendered rhetoric ever propose changing the title of "Master's" degrees? If so, what was proposed?

Let me know if you run across any proposed changes, ESPECIALLY since we have a (similar) problem with the even more problematic "Bachelor's" degree. Most undergraduate students are women these days; what in the world are they working on a "Bachelor's" degree for????

(I actually try to explain the degree name mess a bit in an introductory philosophy class by saying that an "associate's" degree is really a dependent degree, where one is associated with experts but where the expectation is that one follows others' instructions, and that a "bachelor's" degree is one where the person is expected to be able to figure out things without as much direct supervision and instruction, and that a "master's" degree is where one is not only has the capacity to be somewhat independent (a "bachelor") in solving problems, but has demonstrated a great range of success in demonstrating that they HAVE solved such problems.)

Using all these ideas, one might argue that a "master's" level for a class is just doing MORE of whatever the class is supposed to offer, rather than demonstrate a qualitatively different understanding.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA