[lit-ideas] Re: J.S. Bach and Unchained Memories

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:30:26 -0700 (PDT)

I couldn't agree more.  The culture is downright lobotomized.  If there is gold
among the dross, one finds it and keeps quiet about it.  People are stunningly,
amazingly ignorant, and I'm talking about educated and professional people.  In
the movie Motorcycle Diaries the two guys quote Lorca and Neruda; they
recognize bad versus good writing.  When I was in college we did much the same
thing.  Today college students are much more likely to be vocation based, which
is to say, usually finance vocation based.  Professionals I know read only best
sellers like Steven King.  They never heard of, literally never heard the name,
Kurt Vonnegut.  They think D-Day was in Vietnam (Susan Jacoby).  Libraries are
even phasing out classics for lack of interest.  The ignorance of people is
stunning.

It's so bad that I'm not above thinking, and I say this only partly in jest,
that there's some sort of conspiracy to keep the masses fat and happy, the
bread and circuses, while the 1% of the population shares the wealth.  There is
today a virtually seamless merger of corporate and public interests (so called
public, once known as Congress) to where corporations give us not only our
daily bread but our 'facts' and our belief system as well.  We know what they
want us to know.  For example Lawrence's contention that the rich are going to
pay taxes under Obama as if that's ever going to happen no matter who's
president.  It's a statement of complete ignorance, music to the ears of the
70% of CEO's who support McCain.  Without going off on politics, but everything
is politics, the NYT seems to be constantly scrutinzing Obama with never a word
on McCain except to show a picture of him wounded that just pulls the old heart
strings.  This is what's
 being fed to the masses.  Why?

Truly, people are manipulated like puppets.  Maybe a conspiracy theory is a
bit  much, but the constellation of events has so come together that it's
downright eerie how utterly ignorant people are of everything, whether it be
literature or music or science or history.  The spread of technology doesn't
explain it.  Books are a technology after all.  As Eric says, shock has
replaced culture but why?  It's like our food (courtesy of huge corporate
interests) and our physical condition are a metaphor for our brain power, lots
and lots of junk from every quarter until people sit there fat and immobilized
with glazed looks on their faces worshiping money like glistening meth in the
sunlight, to quote Mark Momford.  Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but rant or
no rant, it's what's out there.