[lit-ideas] Re: J.S. Bach and Unchained Memories

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:54:54 +0700

Eric Yost wrote:

"Could you be more specific about the views that lead you to this
judgment [regarding people holding that contemporary culture is
stupider]?"

Personally, I feel I have met too many kids and been a part of too
many cultures to be able to say what kids and culture are like 'these
days'.  However, couldn't one predict, with a fair degree of accuracy,
the kind of person who would hold the belief that kids and culture are
more stupid 'these days'?  They would be intelligent, well-educated,
cultured.  And there would be something that would make them resent
contemporary life so that they wax nostalgic for those days when
people really appreciated good music and literature.  Whether 'those
days' ever were is largely irrelevant, since the point does not appear
to include retrieval of particular historical conditions but to
express a dissatisfaction with current historical conditions.

I don't do nostalgia so I could very well be missing something.  What
follows from the belief that kids and culture are stupider today?

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia