[lit-ideas] Re: J.S. Bach and Unchained Memories

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:27:25 +0700

Chris Bruce wrote:

"I am wondering what list members would nominate as comparable
'crossover' items of popular culture from this opening decade of the
twenty-first century?"

Playing a bit fast and loose with the limits Chris suggested, three
arbitrary examples:

1. Magnificent use of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' throughout the movie 'Die Hard'
2. The rock band, Evanescence, twice sampling Mozart's 'Requiem' in
'Anything For You' and then 'Lacrymosa'
3. A more personal connection: Watching the earlier Star Wars (i.e.
Episodes 4-6), I keep hearing Dvorak's 'New World Symphony', a
sentimental favourite of mine

I have no patience for the 'Kids are stupider these days' attitude, an
attitude which in my opinion says more about the holder of said
attitude than 'kids these days'.

On the other hand, my kids should appreciate the cultural value of my
running around the house singing loudly, 'Kill the wabbit, kill the
wabbit!'

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia