[lit-ideas] Re: Iraqi problems caused by Iran (1)

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:10:43 -0800

Marelena,

My friend from Iraq, Greg, describes the various elements that could be
grouped under the category "insurgency," and while I didn't get an
impression of urgency, all these elements will have to be dealt with
eventually, either by the U.S. or later by the Iraqi government, and many of
them are created or financed by Iran.  My thought was that as long as we
were going to knock out their nuke plants with surgical strikes, we might
consider other targets if they could be seen as related to the support of
insurgency in Iraq.

I have to say one more thing and this is general in nature.  It does not
necessarily follow that the avoidance of war will reduce the number of lost
lives.  Consider this: we avoided going to war against Germany as long as
possible, but did that save lives?  I think it can be readily proved that
our delay was extremely costly in the loss of life.  Of course we were
neither emotionally nor politically prepared to go to war against Germany at
an early date (which also contributed to the loss of life), but if we had
prepared for war and were prepared to engage in an preemptive strike,
millions of lives could have been saved.

A similar thing could be said of Japan.  Had we prepared for war, they
probably wouldn't have attacked us, but they saw us as blustering beyond our
capability.  We talked big but hadn't the military to back it up.  In that
case our lack of preparation for war cost us enormously in a war we had to
scramble to conduct.

We did preempt Saddam Hussein.  There is no doubt but that he was seeking
nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction.  Years of sanctions had not
dimmed his belligerency.  Had we left him alone indefinitely, he would
eventually have acquired what he sought.  A problem with preemption is that
after the fact you can't prove that (if you had engaged in preemption),
Hitler, Tojo, or Saddam Hussein would have done what they sought to do.  We
have tried it both ways and I much prefer preemption.  Iran's behavior calls
for preemption in my opinion.

Lawrence

  _____