[lit-ideas] Re: India and doctors

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:29:57 +0100

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3149454.stm

is about Indian hospitals and health tourism

the Indian doctors who come here tend to be really rather smart
but not so much so as British doctors of Indian origin, perhaps.

EY>In general, the Indian doctors coming to the US are not very
good,

you don't test them?  the ones who come here have to pass a test and
also pay for training here.  BTW some may be heading to the US
as a new EU rule (or perhaps the enforcement of an old one)
means that they can't be hired in preference to an EU national.
That they may be better qualified and speak better English makes
no difference. And scandalously, the rule applies to doctors
already here, who've passed the initial test, and paid for training,
in the hope and perhaps expectation of getting a job here.
The BMA has protested about this.

(I am reliably informed that it is not that easy for Indian
doctors to advance to the rank of consultant anyway.)

EY>and tend to be arrogant

some Indian doctors are more arrogant towards patients than British
doctors -- a cultural thing, I imagine -- some aren't but are a
bit aloof/withdrawn, expecting, I assume from the way they
are when they relax, racism.  But certainly as a rule they
aren't as matey as British doctors.

British doctors of Indian origin are the same as British doctors of non-Indian
origin,
like your second-generation Indian doctors.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

        Date: 5/31/06 12:25:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  In the NYC hospital where my friend works, the Indian
  doctors tried to set up their caste systems in the hospital.
  Low caste Indian doctors would get extra work shoveled on
  them by their higher-caste coworkers.

  In general, the Indian doctors coming to the US are not very
  good, have no people skills, and tend to be arrogant and
  practice poor hygiene. You have to imagine the scene where
  300 pound Bronx or Harlem guys complain about the smelly and
  rude resident physicians and the administration has
  routinely to issue memos about the importance of wearing
  clean lab coats.

  By their third-year here, most of the Indian physicians have
  realized they can't push lower-caste physicians and women
  around, they wash more, their English improves, and they
  understand more. Second-generation American physicians of
  Indian ancestry have none of these qualities, needless to
  say. Ah, the melting pot.

   Database is out-of-date.
  Checked by AVG Free Edition.