[lit-ideas] India and doctors

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 00:31:26 EDT

Hi,
Well, for those of us who were thinking that India was the new  'land of the
free and home of the brave', oh, well.

Too bad, so sad. Obviously, those in the lower castes in India  are still
dealing with discrimination...

Either that, or maybe physicians in India are living in lack and  limitation
and afraid that there will not be enough illness to go around?

Or is it the same everywhere--oppression rules and if you  are not exactly
like me (or of my caste), you are simply not welcome in my  profession.

How does India handle immigration, I wonder?  Are they okay  with it as long
as you are of the same 'caste'?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

India threatens  to fire hundreds of docs

By NEELESH MISRA, Associated Press WriterTue  May 30, 7:43 PM ET

India's government threatened Tuesday to fire hundreds of government doctors
striking to protest an affirmative action plan for low-caste Hindus and said
replacements would prop up crippled medical services.
The Supreme Court warned doctors to end their two-week strike, saying
patients were "at the mercy of God."
Along with the doctors, tens of thousands of medical students and young
software programmers, engineers and bankers have protested the plan to increase

places reserved for low-caste Hindus and ethnic minorities in colleges and
certain professions.
On Tuesday, doctors and medical students blocked traffic in a handful of
cities across India. Protesters in the western city of Ahmadabad briefly
scuffled with police, while in northern Chandigarh, doctors squatted on
railroad
tracks before being forcibly removed. In eastern Gauhati, more than 500 medical

students and interns staged a protest at the city's largest hospital but did
not  disrupt it.
Dozens of doctors and students also have gone on hunger strikes.
The government's plan would increase the quota for low-caste students in
state-funded medical, engineering and other professional colleges from 22.5
percent to 49.5 percent.
Backers say the policy would help undo centuries of oppression and continuing
 discrimination. Hinduism divides people into various castes and, while the
system has been officially outlawed, discrimination remains common.
Critics say the lower castes should be strengthened through education rather
than an increase in the number of study and work opportunities, because many
jobs and school spots already reserved for low castes remain empty.
The strike has crippled health services at government hospitals in several
cities. Senior doctors have been running emergency services in the hospitals,
but day-to-day services have been severely hampered. Many poor patients are
being forced to go to expensive private hospitals.
The government will begin hiring new doctors on Wednesday, Federal Health
Minister Anbumani Ramadoss said after the protesters defied calls by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and the court to end the strike.
"We have been issuing deadlines for two weeks ... their attitude is
unreasonable. If they don't join work, their services will be terminated,"
Ramadoss
told reporters.
He said retired doctors and physicians from the army and the massive railway
system, which has its own medical corps, would step in to ease shortages at
hospitals and clinics.
Striking doctors would not be paid, he said.
"Doctors have a right to expression, but not during duty hours," Ramadoss
said after a meeting with the prime minister.
"Services have to be maintained, come what may," he quoted Singh as saying at
 the meeting.