[lit-ideas] Re: Hylomorphism -- A Dogma?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:52:44 +0100 (BST)

 --- Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I'm
> as much a philosopher as anyone, and I suspect every taxi driver, ditch
> digger, CEO and movie star thinks the same.  To most of us, I contend,
> philosophy is the sense we make of our own lives.

It had to happen that Mike would agree with Popper on something. His view was
that all of us our philosophers because, at the least, we all adopt an
attitide to life and to death. Also we carry around a great number of
metaphysical beliefs, often uncritically held, that often have the greatest
importance for our lives (and deaths). The only excuse for philosophy is the
critical examination of such beliefs.

Donal
Popping in and popping out

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com