[lit-ideas] Re: How to Draw a Crowd

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:13:23 -0600

EY:
Classic example: Tawana Brawley. It made Sharpton's career! Now he gets the big bucks.

I like Sharpton. He doesn't deny he's a showman. So were most of the campus radicals of the 60's. So is every public figure to one degree or another. That doesn't diminish the relevance of their cause. Showmanship is part and parcel to leadership. You must get the attention of the media and the people if you want to bring about any political change.

What is it that offends you about Sharpton? That he promotes himself through advocacy of social issues? Or do you think that he jumps on or even invents grievances just to promote himself? Twana Brawley was a regrettable affair to be sure, but the fact that many others as well as Sharpton believed Twana's story is not surprising. A year before Twana Brawley there was the racial incident at Howard Beach in which Sharpton was instrumental in getting a special prosecutor appointed to investigate the events. Racial prejudice was certainly at play within the New York police department in the Abner Louima killing in 1997 and in the Amadou Diallo abuse in 1999, a full decade after the Brawley affair, so Sharpton was not inventing racism as a real and significant problem in New York. Does the nature of Sharpton's showmanship detract attention from the issues he embraces or does his celebrity help bring attention to them? That, I think, is a legitimate question.

What I read in your posts is an accusation that complaints about racial or gender discrimination are prima facie fraudulent because the laws of this country prohibit such discrimination. "Done deal", as you say, so shut up. But laws only become Law in the enforcement and therein can be injustices that need to be called to the public's attention. So too, we are always enlarging our understanding of social justice in response to expanding values and mores, changes that are always in conflict with the status quo and thereby giving rise to new discriminations.

So saith
Mike Geary
of Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>