[lit-ideas] Re: How to Draw a Crowd

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:41:10 +0000 (GMT)

I agree we should all expect equal treatment.  But what equal treatment means
may not be immediately apparent, also, perhaps it is not clear to me why you
think cultural pluralism is anthetical to this (if that is what you think).  As
for 'voting for the "best candidate"', it is a good forty years since a (male)
tutor ('professor') suggested to me that if women and men did that, then, a
woman would never be the best candidate.

Feminists and black movement people and others have, Eric, considered the point
I think you raise, and have thought the matter more complex than you -- I think
-- believe.

As for

These three guys
> and gals don't merely think equality is a good idea;
> they expect it. Everyone at the organization expects it,
> from board level all the way up to the mail room, to the
> very pinnacle of the night janitors ...

well now, this really does raise the question of what equality means.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK