[lit-ideas] Re: How do I look (Re: Re: Takiyyah)

  • From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:17:01 -0500

John Wager writes:

: Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:
:
: >Indeed, or as Esa Saarinen, a pop philosopher over
: >here summed it up: A man and his wife are going to a
: >party. Man waits for his wife to get ready, and she
: >finally appears all dressed up and asks "How do I
: >look?" Now, at this point if the man thinks he is
: >actually being asked a question, he has already lost.
: >
: >
: NOW you tell me!
:
: This guy might have saved a marriage, or at least made it last a bit
: longer before it wore out!
:
: It took me at least FIVE YEARS to figure this out.  GUYS: Am I really
: more dense than the average male?

For some reason this thread reminds me of the phrase "Shut up, she
explained," which seems to have become part of the public domain,
but, as I recall, originated with a columnist--whose name I
forget--for I believe an Oakland, CA newspaper.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu