[lit-ideas] Re: How do I look (Re: Re: Takiyyah)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 04:25:38 EDT

Oh if all men/husbands were as astute as you two.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to train a male to recognize these
things?

Julie Krueger
finally acknowledging that subtext is not a guy thing

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] How do I look (Re: Re:
Takiyyah)  Date: 3/17/06 3:22:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_teme17@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> As a footnote on "lying' to women:  I think the
>  Qu'ran is on to
> something here.  I seemed to get into trouble  with
> my former wife no
> matter what I said. The cause was a  simple question:
> "How do I look?"
> Sometimes a  truthful answer got me into trouble, but
> sometimes a lie got
> me  into just as much trouble. FINALLY I figured out
> the contexts were
> different. When my ex-wife asked me quite early in
> the morning  how she
> looked, she was asking for an hones, truthful reply,
>  because she had
> enough time to consider if she wanted to take  my
> reaction into
> consideration and change. But when she asked  the
> same question on the
> way out the door, she was NOT asking  for truth; she
> was asking for
> emotional support and  encouragement.  "You look
> great! Go get 'em!" was
> they  "truthful" reply to that request.  What looks
> like a "lie" may just
> be an example of a different mode of expression.

Indeed, or  as Esa Saarinen, a pop philosopher over
here summed it up: A man and his wife  are going to a
party. Man waits for his wife to get ready, and she
finally  appears all dressed up and asks "How do I
look?" Now, at this point if the  man thinks he is
actually being asked a question, he has already  lost.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

> --
> "Never  attribute to malice that which can be
> explained by  incompetence and ignorance."
> John Wager    john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
>                Lisle, IL, USA

>  To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub,
> vacation  on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
>  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

Do You  Yahoo!?