[lit-ideas] Re: Geary on Instrumental Technological Rationality

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:16:54 -0500

DMcE:

Ah. Not merely contingent but "radically" so. Where human life obeys 'scientific' laws it is surely not even contingent; and what is the difference between ordinary and 'radical' contingency?<<

I don't know how 'scientific' laws side step contingency -- actually it seems to me that scientific law would concretize contingency, but I'm not going there, the difference between ordinary and radical contingency is that ordinary contingenciers grant that while most of our individual histories grow out of what has come before, I've encountered many people who believe that there's room for exception, for God to work his influence for instance or his miracles. Radical contingenciers, like myself, believe that even God -- no, especially God, is a contingent being.

Surely this needs to be qualified: [deeply fearful and fiercely selfish] _some_ human life has these unfortunate characteristics, but not even most (trouble is we all suffer when that _some_ gets power over the rest of us).

Donal obviously doesn't live in the South.

Human life on earth is not increasingly tenuous (not with over-population rising as it is), and life on earth in general even less so. Perhaps this makes your POV increasingly tenuous.<<

Actually over-population is one of the more important factors threatening human life. Global warming, pace Paul Stone (who's stone deaf when it comes to such), will fry us all in 100 years. Sic transit gloria technologici"

I was glad to see Palma come to Heidegger's defense. What he sees in that Nazi, I'll never know.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>