[lit-ideas] Re: Geary on Instrumental Technological Rationality

--- On Wed, 23/9/09, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know how 'scientific' laws side step contingency --

By not being contingent. [They represent, for example, physical or chemical or
biological _necessity_; not logical necessity, hence they are logically
contingent - but so's everything, except perhaps logical necessity].

> actually it seems to me that scientific law would concretize
> contingency, but I'm  not going there,

Don't.

> Radical contingenciers, like myself, believe
> that even God -- no, especially God, is a contingent being.

Gotcha. It depends though. Logically contingent? Maybe. Otherwise contingent?
Maybe not.

> Actually over-population is one of the more important
> factors threatening human life.

Not per se. Donning an academic cap we might refer to a 'paradox of
over-population' that applies to all species: in itself over-population
threatens the livelihood of every individual in the species [since it increases
competition for limited resources] while lessening the threat to the survival
of the species as a whole [think Panda for a contrast]. The problem is that the
consequences of human over-population include destruction of the environment
and of 'liveable' habitat, which in turn threatens the individual and the
species as a whole.

Glad to clear that up. Yeh and what is it with these Nazis?

Ldn