[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:05:57 -0800

I knew you'd like Fukuyama's new book, but you ought to read the whole
thing.  He never approved of going into Iraq.  He never represented the view
of the administration.  He's had an ongoing debate with Krauthammer which
has gone on for years about this.  He was influenced by Gilles Kepel and
Olivier Roy, whom he praises in his book, and they are of the opinion that
1) the Jihadists are small in number, and 2) they have no support from the
rest of society.  He's calling his new position, Realistic Wilsonianism.

You can tell a lot about a person's theory about the current war by his
terminology.  Fukuyama likes the term "Jihadist."  These are the people to
worry about, and of course there aren't too many of them.  The author I am
presently reading, Khaled Abou El Fadl, The Great Theft, Wrestling Islam
form the Extremists, uses the term Islamic Puritans, and there are a whole
bunch of those.

Lawrence