[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:42:03 -0800

Globalization, the WTO, et al., fit nicely with Fukuyama's view - no
conflict at all -- unless you imagine a world government - you aren't saying
that are you?  Now that is something that would never work.  Look how hard
it has been to get the EU constitution passed.

Also, Fukuyama by himself disagrees with exporting democracy.  He says he is
no longer a Neocon but a Realistic Wilsonian.  He is distancing himself from
the old Neocons.  But he admits that the old Neocon agenda is invalid
because the term has been applied to the Bush Administration.   Fukuyama
disagrees with the exportation of democracy; which is one of the Old Neocon
line items.  As to Fukuyama's current view, in rejecting the Neocon
deviation from his position he is obviously not representing the Neocon
position.  Your statement "therefore the war is a failure," can't reasonably
follow from Fukuyama's abandonment of the Neocon label.

You keep saying our economy is about to fail.  I'll bet there are notes of
yours in the Phil-Lit archives that are saying the same thing.  All the
world rating agencies claim we have the strongest economy in the world.
Sure we spend a lot, but our economic advisors say we can afford it.

As to who won the Cold War, as I have argued in the past, I believe the
credit should go to George Kennan who advanced the theory (during the Truman
administration) that would eventually win the Cold War

Lawrence