[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:58:32 -0800

Lawrence wrote:

Fukuyama thought that with the fall of Communism the last challenge to Liberal Democracy had been conquered and that the End of History had arrived -- with but a few loose ends to be tied up – some minor players who had not yet accepted Liberal Democracy like the Arab Nations, North Korean and a few others but nothing to worry about. We may as well declare victory. In that sense Fukuyama was being descriptive, but he was being predictive by arguing that the minor inconveniences like the Arab nations would inevitably become Liberal-Democracies. He was being predictive but /merely predictive/. He wasn’t advocating that anyone should hasten the process by militarily exporting Liberal-Democracy.

Fair enough. Certainly nobody would expect a historian-cum-political-scientist to suggest that in giving an account of how things would turn out from the 'point of view' of 'history' (viz., that the political state of the world was tending to a special sort of entropy, in which every state would be a liberal democracy), such a theorist was giving a blueprint for how to bring that about, much less that as a theorist he was willing to pitch in and see that things turned out as he had said they would.

I would concede that he probably hadn’t worked out the details of why the exporting of Liberal-Democracy wouldn’t work when he wrote /The End of History and the Last Man/ in 1992. As time went on it was reasonable for him to disapprove of tyrants who opposed Liberal-Democracy like Saddam Hussein. It wasn’t inconsistent of him to want a regime change, but when the Bush Administration conquered Iraq and proposed to demand that the next regime there be a democratic one – something seemingly consistent with /The End of History/ – Fukuyama balked. He didn’t see the precursors of Liberal Democracy in Iraq. This wasn’t what he had in mind at all. It wouldn’t have been an evolution of his thinking for him to feel this was all wrong.

If I understand Fukuyama at all, it seems to me that he's thinking of history (History) as the evolution of political ideologies, and in this (as he says) he's following Hegel and Marx; he adopts Hegel's entropic state—the liberal state—and uses some of Hegel's arguments. All three (H, M, F) believe that history has a 'direction,' that it is tending towards something, a 'final' state, after which there cannot be a transfer of ideological energy back into a state in which there is an ideological imbalance. (Why anyone would believe this is not clear to me.) But if it were true, that would be by definition the end of history (which is an account of humans' passing from one ideology to another).

Yet there is no reason, no reason at all, for someone who believes that ultimately it will be liberal democracies all the way down, to believe that liberal democracies can come about in only one way—unless, of course, his 'theory' is a set of definitional truths, disguised as empirical generalizations, as were those of Hegel and Marx. The moment his theory becomes honestly empirical, it must become honestly falsifiable, to the extent, at least, that he must be able to say what would count against it, in advance. So, there's no reason why Fukuyama would have 'balked' at this, except for the uninteresting reason I've suggested: liberal democracies must 'as a matter of logic' come about in just one way. But there is no 'logic' in the world, only contingencies, something of which an honest theorist should have been well aware.

Prior to the invasion of Iraq there were theorists who advocated a benign autocracy as the most suitable replacement for Saddam’s regime. Perhaps Fukuyama wouldn’t have objected as much if that were proposed, but to imply, or permit others to imply, that the Bush administration was carrying out his theories – putting his theories into effect – was too much for him. While Liberal-Democracies are inevitable, they develop from within a given nation by people wanting what they see in other Liberal Democracies. They can not be forced upon a people from without.

It is the notion that they are 'inevitable' which makes his views, in the end, no more interesting than Marx or Hegel's. (I grant that there's a lot of interest in the writings of Marx and Hegel, just as there are in the great works of Hume; but Hume's epistemology can be of great interest even if one thinks it's completely wrong.) It is as if Fukuyama had said, 'The rocks lying at the bottom of the cliff which fell because the soil eroded under them are really rocks, but those the kids tossed down aren't.'

Whether liberal democracies can be forced on anyone an empirical claim, and whether it's true we have yet to see.

I’m guessing in the foregoing at what went on in Fukuyama’s mind. He wasn’t in a good position. If the Democracy failed in Iraq, people would say his theory was wrong; so he had to distance himself from it at once. If Democracy succeeded in Iraq and he had distanced himself from it prior to its success, people might say he didn’t have the courage of his theory – which is kind of what I am saying. On the other hand, by distancing himself in advance he is taking the honest way out. He never advocated exporting democracy militarily; so even if it succeeds it won’t be succeeding in the way he anticipated. But if it does succeed and he has predicted that all nations will one day be Liberal-Democratic,
doesn’t that fit in with his theory despite his denial?

He cannot say both that if it failed there his theory was wrong AND maintain that the only true liberal democracy is one that (by definition) came about in a certain way. That is, he cannot be saying both things, and if he believes in a definitional account, he wouldn't need to.

Robert Paul
Reed College