[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:30:56 -0800

Fukuyama claims his ideas didn't evolve, but that the other Neocons took the
Neocon movement off in a wrong direction.  Furthermore the Neocon name was
taken even further by non-neocon critics until it became a synonym for Bush
policy which deviated markedly from Fukuyama's views.

I read Fukuyama's The End of History and the Last Man in 1999 and liked it.
I read his America at the Crossroads this month and didn't like it.
Fukuyama claims that his ideas haven't changed and I have to accept that
although it does seem as though his ideas have changed.  Since his End of
History is theory I can't insist that a policy I think logically follows
from it ought to have his blessing.  He intended it to be a prediction of
the future and never intended it to be policy that should be implemented.
He has no problem with advocating policy, voting to remove Saddam Hussein
from office, for example, but never for going to war to promote Liberal
Democracy.  He doesn't think Iraq can be turned into a Liberal Democracy as
we are attempting.  I gather he might agree with Paul Berman who in Terror
and Liberalism argued that every self-respecting Liberal should want to get
rid of Saddam Hussein.  His problem wasn't in getting rid of Saddam Hussein
but in imagining that it was possible to export Democracy.  Certain elements
need to be present in a society (as they were in Germany and Japan after
WWII) before a society can accept democracy.  Those elements were not
present in Iraq.  He doesn't think it impossible that Iraq will develop a
successful democracy, just that it is extremely unlikely.

Fukuyama sides with Gilles Kepel and Olivier Roy about the nature and size
of the enemy. They all think the enemy that Fukuyama calls the Jihadists is
small.  I don't believe he is right about this but expect to see his ongoing
comments about Iraq in his new Journal, The American Interest which I
subscribed to.

Lawrence