[lit-ideas] Re: Sour Grapes

  • From: "Kahn, Rupert" <R.D.Kahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:29:06 -0000

Ursula asked: I wonder what ethnicity attached that x?

The name originates from Brittany (acceding to this web-site).
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/proulx-family-crest.htm

I like the crest.

Talk of names and pronunciation always reminds me of my unfortunately named
infant school teacher. She introduced herself to our
class of 6 and 7 year olds as "Miss Bowl" and spelled it out on the board
B-O-W-E-L.   It was years before the penny dropped and I
realised why she seemed a little tense doing this.

It also reminds me of an anecdote which is probably weak on the page but very
funny when told (well).

At an audition with George Gershwin at the Piano and Ira Gershwin present a
young actress arrives and starts to sing her piece,
"Lets call the whole thing off".
She sings the whole song pronouncing each word without variation.

"you say potayto  and I say potayto
"you say tomahto and I say tomahto"

And so on.

At the end of the performance there is a pause after which George says "Thank
you Miss Epsteen. We'll be in touch."

She snaps back "That's Miss Epstine."

I've been off list for a long time due to a computer failure forcing a short
term break and inertia making it a long break.  Based
on the last 24 hours postings it seems the furniture is pretty much where it
was when I left, I hardly feel I've been away.

Best wishes

Rupert Kahn
Sheffield