[lit-ideas] Re: For the long-term trendwatchers among us

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:53:35 EDT

Hello  john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx,
In reference to your  comment:

Anyone care to join me in speculating on  the political
implications of this development?

Well, I would if I understood it.  Could you nutshell it in  terms a
layperson can comprehend when the heat index is 108?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] For the long-term
trendwatchers among us  Date: 8/7/06 8:18:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) ,
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
It's not global warming, but you might find  interesting the following
piece I just wrote for  bestoftheblogs.com

=================
It has been a number of years  since I read Hedrick Smith's 1990
href="http://www.hedricksmith.com/topics/theWashingtonPowerGame.shtml";>The
Power  Game:How Washington Works and began to consider the
implications of  Smith's thesis that, by allowing candidates to speak
directly to voters, TV  had (1) weakened local party organizations, (2)
concentrated campaign  management in the hands of the "professionals"
(pollsters, strategists, media  buyers) who claimed to understand the
new medium, and (3) trapped members of  Congress in a never-ending
fundraising ratrace, to pay off the costs of the  last campaign and
finance the next one. If you are curious about the material  driver of
Congressional leadership opposition to Howard Dean's  50-state
strategy, with its focus on local party building, look no  further.

Today, however, the online edition of _Ad Age_ (aoldb://mail/write/AdAge.com)
,
brings me this  story.

Cites 50% Drop in Viewers, 40% Hike in Prime-Time Ad Spend Over Last  Decade

By Abbey Klaassen

Published: August 06, 2006
NEW  YORK (AdAge.com) -- A study is about to give Madison Avenue a
fresh  pummeling: McKinsey & Co. is telling a host of major marketers
that by  2010, traditional TV advertising will be one-third as
effective as it was in  1990

Shocking statistic
That shocking statistic, delivered  to the company's Fortune 100
clients in a report on media proliferation,  assumes a 15% decrease in
buying power driving by cost-per-thousand rate  increases; a 23%
decline in ads viewed due to switching off; a 9% loss of  attention to
ads due to increased multitasking and a 37% decrease in message  impact
due to saturation. </blockquote>

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama,  JAPAN