[lit-ideas] Re: Ethnic Pride, Black Truck Style

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:11:37 -0500

John McCreery wrote:

. . . .
In Japan these trucks are seen as remnants of pre-war militarism and
emperor worship and allies of right-wing political parties. Am I, as
an anthropologist, committed a priori to treating them with respect?
If so, why not the John Birch Society or Bob Jones University?

1. You should treat them all with respect because that's the kind of person you should aspire to become, regardless of their merit. 2. You should treat them with respect because such treatment is sometimes effective in softening the hard heart. Being heard allows the speaker to also hear more closely what he or she is saying, and sometimes listening to one's own voice through the ears of another makes what one said less true. Extremism is sometimes a plea to be taken seriously, but once one is taken seriously, one must become serious. 3. You should treat them all with respect because all extremism is built on a kernel of truth, and we need to find the kernel of truth behind the facade. 4. You should treat them all with respect because you show others how civil discourse is possible.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA