[lit-ideas] Re: Dutch support killer of van Gogh

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:17:05 -0800

I think I understand your views, and if "the majority of Muslims who are not
fundamentalists" is a large number (say, large enough to win a free
election) and not merely a minority, then perhaps you are right, but I
haven't been able to find support for such a view, and I've looked - as much
as I can here in San Jacinto with a substantial book-buying,
journal-subscribing, and computer purchasing budget.  This is a key issue
and I understood it to be so back when I first began studying Islamism.
There are individuals who oppose the Islamists and of course there is a
sizeable vocal majority opposing Islamism in Iraq and Afghanistan, but one
looks in vain for it elsewhere in the Middle East.

One would think that it ought to be visible in secular Turkey where Ataturk
established a secular government, but the Islamists have been growing there
over the years and have even sought to take over the government a time or
two and have only been prevented from doing so by the military.

In Pakistan Musharaff is being encouraged by Bush to have democratic
elections, but if he were to do so that might very well result in an
Islamist government.  Pakistan is a benign military dictatorship (at least
in our view).  There are others in that category, but in a perfectly free
election would there be a "majority of Muslims who are not fundamentalists"
voting in a non-Islamist government in those nations?  I don't think so.  I
might hope so, but I have seen evidence to the contrary.  In perfectly free
elections in Iran, Algeria, and Palestine, the Islamists won.

Militant Islam at the time we were attacked on 9/11 included Iraq, Libya,
Iran, Syria, and Afghanistan.  I know Europeans would rather talk than
fight, but we were attacked and our response was to fight.  That's what
we've done.  I know you've got your reasons why we shouldn't have attacked
Iraq, but we've got our reasons why they were part of our problem.  They
were regularly attacking our planes flying overhead.  They were avoiding the
effects of the sanctions; they were supporting militant actions against us.
They had a well known interest in WMDs.  Note, we never declared war against
Al Quaeda but against "Terrorism," which we have called variously Islamism,
Miltant Islam, Fundamentalist Islam, and a few other things hoping for more
clarity.  Depending upon what we call it might color who it is we think we
are fighting.  Fukuyama chose to call it Jihadism which meant only those
actively attacking us - groups like Al Quaeda.  But we know (at least I do)
that there is a vast core of support in various parts of the Middle East -
perhaps most of it.  We began our counterattack with Afghanistan and
continued with Iraq - both nations supportive of Militant Islamic action
against us.

The nation presently in our sights, perhaps, is Iran.  They are the
presently the largest supporter of Militant Islamic groups and they are
developing nuclear weapons.  No sort of dialogue is going to influence Iran
as far as anyone has been able to tell.  The EU and the UN have had their
dialogic go at Iran and have come up empty.  Is, as has been said, a
"nuclear Iran unthinkable"?   I have been going over that idea in my mind,
and have attempted to make it "thinkable."   The best I can do is to imagine
scenarios in which we might effect or encourage a regime change that gets
rid of the Mullahs and hawks like Amadinejad, but what would we be risking
if we let Iran get its nuclear weapons before we managed such a regime
change?   Iran might feel emboldened to be more hawkish if they felt we
wouldn't dare mess with them for fear they might set off one of their nukes.
Amadinejad declares that he will bomb Israel, Britain, and U.S. forces in
the region.  People, some of them on Lit-Ideas, say that's just bluster and
we ought not to worry about what he says.  Christopher Hitchens said
Amadinejad is just a puppet and can be safely ignored (the other day on
MSNBC's Scarborough Country), but if I were living in Israel I doubt I would
be listening to this fellow with equanimity.  I might very well be hoping my
government was planning another Osirik.

Lawrence

  _____