[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:25:20 +0100 (BST)

Most people here can get to know a homeless person and
perhaps a street-sleeper (both basically street
people) easily.  Just stop and talk and buy the Big
Issue and occasionally give some money to one of the
street people who don't sell that (or give them a
sandwich or some food for their dog).  But it's
perhaps less violent over here.

John there are housing estates here like the ones you
mention and amid them, little oases, and, good
families, and so on.  My last doctors in London, very
good ones, were, mainly, doctors to a place like that.
 There was never any trouble at their surgery in the
years I knew it. A couple of years after I left,
social workers failed to inform them that a
psychiatric patient had left prison; the patient
stabbed a doctor. But that could happen anywhere

--- John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Street people
> are just that, on the street, in your face. But what
> goes on behind the
> windows of all those decrepit buildings lining the
> streets is probably a
> complete surprise to all of us.
>

> The fundamental problem, it seems to me, is that not
> only are we as a
> society "unzipping" politically along red/blue
> lines, we are "unzipping"
> socially along economic lines.  I grew up knowing a
> fair number of rich
> and poor people. I suspect that most citizens in the
> U.S. today no
> longer have as wide a range of friends or
> acquaintances of differing
> economic status.  Who we don't know can destroy us
> as a society.

Judy Evans, Cardiff