[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:02:17 -0700

As Taylor tells us, we have a lot of reasons for the things we believe and
do.  You live in Canada and don't want a gun because guns kill people.  The
implication being that you don't want a gun because you don't want to kill
anyone.  I wasn't raised with any idea like that.  Guns are offensive or
defensive depending upon who has them and what his intention is.   The guy
coming to rob you and kill you if necessary intends his gun for offensive
purposes, but you, if you had a gun could use it for defensive purposes.
You could let him know you had a gun and perhaps that would cause him to
leave yours tackle a less-defended house, or you could actually use it for
defense if he were persistent.  But, of course if there are few criminals in
Canada who use guns to do such things as I described, then why bother?  In
such a peaceful environment only hunters, target shooters, and perhaps
war-paraphernalia collectors would be interested in owning guns.

At Boeing years ago, my office was across the aisle from a very Liberal
fellow who was against the owning of guns.  His wife was Canadian and he
used to travel up there regularly - claimed to be treated rather shabbily by
the Canadians by the way.  This fellow lived near the beach and had
something of a hippy life-style.  Sometimes on holidays people who used the
beach would park in his driveway so that he couldn't park his own car there.
He had a lot of confrontations with them.  He was a big guy and despite his
Liberal leanings could confront with the best of them.  He also had a
baseball bat in his bedroom for defense.

If you don't feel comfortable with a gun because you were taught certain
things about them, had certain experiences with them, or you can't remember
why but just don't like them, then you shouldn't have a gun.  Get a baseball
bat or get good locks on your doors and windows and hope if someone ever
does try to break in that the police will get there before they get to you.
Furthermore, your chances are probably good no one will target your house.
Only 16% of men will contract prostate cancer sometime in their lives.  The
chances of your being robbed in your home are probably much lower than that.
I think it entirely reasonable to rely upon the laws of chance and take no
precautions against either eventuality.

Lawrence

  _____