[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:02:23 -0400

Andy: I'm guessing that your Brazilian friends are disappointed that in the U.S. everyone doesn't really swing from building to building.

No I was disappointed and chastened that others view us not as arrogant cowboys, but as timid and docile bureaucratic types.

That "American gun-toting cowboy" label is tough to live with, and even tougher to live without. I felt as though I had lost something when I realized we weren't thought to be arrogant gun-toting cowboys. All this time I thought we were the gun-toting cowboys. I missed being thought of as a gun-toting cowboy, especially when the other option was the docile bureaucrat obsessed with permission and consensus.