[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:30:25 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

. . . .Can it really be true that 25% of Americans have no friends at all? Can one use the term "society" for such a situation? That's 75 million isolated loners.

To keep some perspective: If there ARE 75,000,000 Americans without friends, that's only twice as many Americans who live in poverty (37,000,000). Can we use the term "society" when 1/8th of its citizens are below the minimum acceptable level of economic security?

From the items you cited as possible causes, I'd say that those in poverty have a better chance at friendship than those who are taking longer commutes, or going on the computer more, or watching television, even if that means the workplace is the main arena for friendships to develop.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA