[lit-ideas] Re: Counter-Suggestion

  • From: Robert Paul <guimbarde9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:41:38 -0700 (PDT)

JL said
So, Guille is _manipulating_ a stimulus-response chain -- and that's  the
origin of 'non-natural' meaning, for Grice. For Grice _all_ meaning is
non-natural (only analogically do we say 'smoke' means "smoked salmon").

This is not how I learned it. (I am weirded out by the smoked salmon example./
5n 'Meaning,' there are (Grice claims) two sorts of meaning, natural ('Dark
clouds mean rain,' 'These spots mean measles,' and non-natural, which is
mostly talk, with a few gestures thrown in. But I could be wrong. Maybe that's
not what he meant.

Robert Paul