[lit-ideas] Re: Counter-Suggestion

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:21:54 EDT

Bairn born in barn and  burn

bairn, North. Eng. and Scot., 'child', from 'bear'.

In a message dated 6/8/2009 10:06:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
From earliest times--between the hours  of midnight and five a.m.--all
Scottish babies (bairns) are birthed in burns  (streams), this being a
fabulously cheap way of keeping anesthesia costs low and  everything clean.
David Ritchie,
not confused at all

----

This is so excellent. I had forgotten about the  'burn'.

Indeed, seeing that Geary's mother was partly Scots, partly  Irish, she was
possibly in the know. Again, in 'Pons Asinorum' I wonder the  strategy of a
barn having no door. I'm trying to provide a short-circuit  implicature for
Momma Geary's  remark,

Were you born in  a barn?     +>   You have the brains
of an ass (pons  asinorum)
who, while walking in a
straight line  naturally,
won't use his anterior  limbs
or posterior limbs  to
get to the  building
once inside, hence  the
manufacturer's  necessity
of building barns  without
doors.

-----

'bairn' and 'burn' are _so_ deligthtful. Must say I  learned them first
from a Tyneside so-called folk song -- Northumberland: it's  very confusing
that the Humber is miles south.

I have it in a CD of  Michael Tippett's  songs:

www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=16482

Dorian pastoral mode,  Cminor

Cm                                             Ab

The sheep's in the meadows, the kye's in the  corn,

Cm                            Gm

Thou's ower lang in thy bed, bonny at  morn.

Refrain:  Canny at night, bonny at  morn,
Thou's ower lang in they  bed,
Bonny at morn.

II

The bird's in the nest, the trout's in  the burn,
Thou hinders thy mother in many a  turn.

Refrain: Canny at night, bonny at  morn,
Thou's ower lang in they  bed,
Bonny at morn.

III

We're all laid idle wi' keeping the  bairn,
The lad winnot work and the lass winnot  lairn.

Refrain:  Canny at night, bonny at  morn,
Thou's ower lang in they  bed,
Bonny at morn.

I remember discussing the 'the lad winnot work and the  lass winnot lairn'
in the English Center for Tradition, ECTAL, Dialect-List,  Sheffield-, and
they were pretty fascinated with the 'winnot'. I love the rhyme,  'bairn'
with 'lairn'.

Such a sweet song. I taught to a group of  Argentines, for a musical
evening of English folksong, which was a _success_!

I love the refined element that it's trout in the burn.

-- cfr.  the 'fish are jumpin'' in summertime.

Cheers,

JL  Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

fingertips.