[lit-ideas] Re: Counter-Suggestion

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:39:37 -0500

JL:
We would need a cross-cultural study. In my country of origin, people leave
the lights on, and what's worse, they don't close the doors after they
entered  places.

My mother has a saying for that,
       "Are you a gypsy?"
implicature: only a gypsy lives in a _tent_ without doors.

My father died without having trained any one of us six kids to turn off the lights when leaving a room -- and it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. In fact, it's probably what killed him -- the frustration.

As to open doors, my mother would always say: "Were you born in a barn?" She had a lot of snide, insulting sayings, most of which I've let slip away. Should have written them all down. But I remember the one I hated most. She used it whenever I or any of us would get whiny with self-pity or petulant with feelings of being put-upon: "Oh, poor Mike, nobody loves him. He'll have to go out into the garden and eat worms." I never have seen the connection between eating worms and feelings of self-pity, but it always got our attention and we for damn sure knew no sympathy would be forthcoming from her.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>