[lit-ideas] Re: Counter-Suggestion

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:24:04 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2009 3:39:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Were you born in a barn?"
She had a lot of  snide, insulting sayings, most of which I've let slip
away.
Should have  written them all down.  But I remember the one I hated most.
She used  it whenever I or any of us would get whiny with self-pity or
petulant with  feelings of being put-upon:  "Oh, poor Mike, nobody loves
him.
He'll  have to go out into the garden and eat worms."  I never have seen
the
connection between eating worms and feelings of  self-pity
----

It's surprising about the 'born in the barn',  for

i. in Scots, 'bairn' is  _child_.
This may  confuse Ritchie, the new American (just teasing  friendly)
Were diss bairn born in barn?

ii. She, of all people, should know  if you were or were not
born in a barn (unless  you're  adoptive?)

-- I'm currently studying the implicatures of 'adoptive' vs.  'adopted'
as power imbalance in Columbia (actually "Colombia").

The worm is an  interesting connection.

Oddly, my mother once had worms in her system --  tania saginata.

But when I see mothers say silly things, my brother  invented a saying,

"You're  talking shit"

I am more polite, so I rephrased that  as,

"I can't hear you --  since you are talking shit"

where the 'can't' is uttered in the  indicative mode in the  Spanish:

'no te  escucho'.

When I speak with mum on the phone she sometimes forgets  that:

MUM: [Something  stupid]
JL: No te  escucho    -- I can't hear you.
MUM  repeats something stupid to my annoyance.

The other day, it worked with  my female cousin who was not in the know as
to the 'code'.

She was asking  some stupid  question.

I said, "No te escucho"

She repeated the stupid question.

I  said  "No te escucho"

A third party was present, and she said, "It's  not that he is not
_hearing_ you; he is _ignoring_ your stupid  comments."

Counter-suggestion needs more research.

Walter O. calls  it childish, but it's not.

Also, P. A. Stone is confused when he thinks,  "I don't know if my son
knows the meaning of 'good' or 'boy' for that  matter."

My quote from Grice was meant to elucidate that it's the other  way around:

we go from speaker's intentions (MEANING) _to_ word-meaning.  So the
'meaning' of "boy" or "good" gets created by more simple  intentions.

I wonder if he says 'good boy' also when he goes into a dark  room and
turns on the light.

>nobody loves him.
>He'll have to  go out into the garden and eat worms."

Hence, "for the love of  Mike" -- title of musical comedy with Bobby Howes.

>nobody loves him.
>He'll have to go out into the garden and eat worms."

Maybe  the reference is to Nabbucodonosor. It always struck me that he went
mad and  went to the garden (of Babylonia) to eat grass.

'the red red robin' is  _always_ eating worms.

Oddly, today I was singing a song mentioning  'worms' -- it's the OED
second quote for 'went' meaning 'said' or  uttered:

she was a dear little dicky  bird
chip chip she  went
sweetly she sang to  me
till all my money was  SPENT
then she went off  song
We parted in friendly  terms

Eb
She
was
one of  the
Fm
earliest
BIRDS
Cmaj7

and
Fm
I  was
Ab7
one of the
Eb.
worms.

There is a fascinating monologue on worms by R. Frankau in "Banned  songs
from the 20s and 30s". (This is the tail [tale] of Winnie the  Worm").

Teachers should use more counter-suggestion with their students.  And wives
with their hubbies.

Cheers,

JL
   Buenos Aires, Argentina