[lit-ideas] Re: An American student's history of the world

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 04:00:54 -0700

Robert, I wasn't attempting to describe all that comprised the Fallacy of
Hasty Generalization, merely that Simon's fallacy was that particular
fallacy.  And by saying Simon had committed the Fallacy of Hasty
Generalization I didn't intend to imply that Simon had exhausted the Fallacy
of Hasty Generalization with his particular fallacious argument.    Don't
forget, I was happy saying that Simon had engaged in an "Anecdotal Argument"
which was by definition fallacious. You take it full circle with your
example of band-members uniforms; although the circumstances of seeing the
band members (say it happened just after a performance) might remove that
argument from the Fallacy of Hasty Generalization: e.g. the band just had a
performance.  Really?  What uniforms are they wearing this year?  Look,
those two are the last ones to leave the performance.  Ah, I see they are
wearing stripped pants and green jacket.

Simon's argument has no extenuating circumstances that I can see.  He heard
several interviews and saw a pattern; so he supplied the "therefore" and
drew a conclusion not as Judy would have: "some have become terrorists as a
result of the war in Iraq," but the more audacious and fallacious "the
number of terrorists in existence is larger now than it was before the war
in Iraq because of the war in Iraq. And the number of moderates is smaller
now than it was before the war in Iraq because of the war in Iraq."

Neither Omar nor I were able to determine how many moderates were in
existence.  I was not able to determine that there were any moderates in the
Middle East because neither Omar nor I could find hide nor hair of them.
Yet Simon, upon the evidence of two terrorist attacks and a small number of
interviews has determined this for us.  However small the number of
moderates was before Iraq war II.  It is even smaller now.  And the reverse
is true of the number of terrorists.

Consider that instead of beating his head against Lawrence on Lit-Ideas,
Simon joins Zogby and is told to go and find out if there are more or less
moderates and terrorsts after Iraq War number two than before.  Simon
interviews ten people he is impressed with and returns two weeks later and
says, "Mr. Zogby.  I have evidence that there are fewer moderates and more
extremists after Iraq War II."

"Very well," Mr. Zogby says.  "Good work.  How many people did you survey
and what were their demographics?"

Simon answers, "Ten people, Mr. Zogby, and their demographics were 'really
smart'."

Is Mr Zogby going to be more or less happy with Simon than Lawrence is?

Lawrence