[lit-ideas] Re: An American student's history of the world

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:34:22 -0700

Robert Paul wrote:

I think it's unwise to leap from a fallacy's having a name to the conclusion
that that name picks out every variety of 'argument' said to be denoted by it.

God knows what he was trying to say. Maybe:

I think it's a fallacy to leap from a fallacy's having a name to the conclusion
that the name picks out only one thing, in this case a kind of argument, when
in fact it denotes many kinds of allegedly bad reasoning which may cousins but
are by no means identical twins.

Robert Paul