[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:21:21 +0100

Eric,

I'll do the apology in a while, but first some explanation of why I jumped.

We live in a modern world in all respects except the specific intent towards the health and welfare of the least developed nations and where that intent applies to the most-developed nations. To say we haven't got the means to raise the living standards of the least well-off is nonsense, it just comes down to the will. And remember, we are all of the same species and we have but one planet between us.

Now on from that, besides inumarable charity organisations, there is but one world body that is dedicated towards alleviating distress in the world caused by natural and man-made disasters. The UN is fundamentally good, its basic tenet is to serve those in need. And yet it's been the subject of a mythologising effort for some time now.

Yes there have been scandals, but then you get scandals everywhere. Would you damn capitalism because of Enron. Would you damn government because of Watergate. Of course you wouldn't, so why damn the UN because of a scandal. Further, your tone when discussing the UN never fails to set my teeth on edge. Your phrase: "The corrupt UN debating entity..." stinks of right wing propaganda and it smells really bead. I can't believe this is a view you have come to from many hours of tight study. Is it?

Given all that, all I could see from your hospital fleet was its potential to serve US interests. I could imagine - if there were fleets of different nationalities - that the US one would be competing or negotiating rights of passage or rights to diseases. The fundamental idea, as it seems to me, is to seek national gain through a philanthropic idea rather than to follow the philanthropy without regard and it's the latter that's needed in a divided world, anything less will create mistrust. Intent not effect.

And finally, my "USS Yost" was intended to signify the particular flavour of your fleet, a shorthand for its design. That you took as a personal slight is unfortunate and unintended, but I still offer up an apology.

I've been called worse and recently.

Regards

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>