[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:25:37 -0700

On Aug 20, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Judith Evans wrote:

Oh wait, I see

Instead of four years in
the
center of a U.S. city, you'd train for four years on a boat
that could
be anywhere.

means that there'd be the same number of training places available within the US but also, training places aboard ship.

This training would have to be at post-graduate/house officer
etc, level, so the doctors would have to be paid.  I doubt the
US can afford to spend much more on medicine (broadly
defined) than it does now, so, don't quite see how such a system
would come about.

Residents get paid next to nothing--when my wife was in such a program, she got about twenty thousand a year for fifty two weeks at more than a hundred hours per week. But, yes, there would be a cost.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon