[linux-avc2210k] Re: tuner usage

  • From: Dr J A Gow <J.A.Gow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-avc2210k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:31:59 +0000

> I have looked into /etc/avc2210k.conf.xml.
> as far as i can tell the section for the uk is the basic uhf broadcast band
> however I have channels below this in vhf (it's cable)
> presumably the entry for the uk needs to be expanded.

That's probably why you don't get any channels :)

When I wrote the code, I just filled in a section for the broadcast
band. What you could do is create a new section in avc2210k.conf.xml
with the channel frequency and setting data for cable. Once you have
done this, rescan for your frequencies and you should get something.

> because its not finding any channels i dont get a channel list

The channel list will be empty if no channels are found :)

> in windvr the channel list looks something like this

I don't know windvr at all. Never used it.

> 1) what am i doing wrong detecting channels

It would appear your signals are not in the broadcast band. There is no
configuration in place for other channels at the moment, so you will
need to add one.

> 2)how does the  /etc/avc2210k.conf.xml. need to be modified to scan the
> wider band width.

You will need to find the frequency/channel allocation data for your
broadcaster. Then create an additional new <tvregion> section similar to
this, but with your signal information. The most important data is the
<LowestChannelNum>, the <LowestFreq> and <HighestFreq>, the
<ChannelWidth> and the <StepSize> (these four in MHz). Check the
location of the sound carrier offset and modulation parameters in case
they are different and update these as you need.

        <tvregion name="UK-CABLE" formatID="1,2">

                <!-- tuner section -->

                <LowestChannelNum>21</LowestChannelNum>
                <LowestFreq>471.25</LowestFreq>
                <HighestFreq>847.25</HighestFreq>
                <ChannelWidth>8.0</ChannelWidth>
                <StepSize>0.0625</StepSize>
                <Band>HIGH</Band>
                <AGCSetting>2s</AGCSetting>
                <IFOutputLevel>106</IFOutputLevel>
                <LSound>OFF</LSound>
                <FMSens>HIGH</FMSens>
                <Modulation>NEGATIVE</Modulation>
                <QSS>ON</QSS>
                <FMAFMute>ON</FMAFMute>
                <SoundTrap>OFF</SoundTrap>
                <AudioGain>0dB</AudioGain>
                <DeemphasisTC>50us</DeemphasisTC>
                <Deemphasis>ON</Deemphasis>
                <IFGain>NORMAL</IFGain>
                <VideoIF>45.75</VideoIF>
                <SoundCarrier>6</SoundCarrier>

                <!-- demodulator section -->

                <demodwrdemod>0x0030,0x6001</demodwrdemod>
                <demodwrdsp>0x0008,0x0120</demodwrdsp>

        </tvregion>

Then
        avctune -r UK-CABLE -s

and you should get your channel file. If you get a working config send
it to me and I'll add it to the next release.

> 3) what is the format of the channel list file and  could i create it
> manually

No need. If the tuner is scanning the correct channels, then it will
pick up the valid signals and fill the channel list file.

> 4)can any tv programs interact with the device as far as channel changing
> goes or is channel surfing out of the question for now.

I don't write applications, only drivers. There is an API in the shared
library to allow an application to control the device - don't know if
anyone is using it.